Interview with Maami : model from EGG magazine
- First, can you introduce yourself?
Maami : My name is Maami, I’m 20 years old. I have been with EGG for 2 years. I like anime, especially Black Butler. In terms of clothes, I love the colorful and flashy style of Harajuku! I am mixed race, from Thailand and Japan.
- How did you become an EGG model ?
Maami : I was spotted by recruiters for the magazine.
- Why were you attracted to the Gyaru style?
Maami : I couldn’t find myself in simple clothes and wanted to get away from it. So I started to wear bright clothes because I wanted to be noticed. This is how I approached the Gyaru genre.
- Did you know that there are foreign Gyaru communities that gather a lot of people on social networks and organize events? In particular, we work regularly with a community in France whose Alice and Noémie are leaders named Gyaransu. They have already collaborated with brands like Baby Shoop and DaTuRa. What do you think of its foreign communities?
Maami : It’s really cool to see that a movement that comes from us in Japan can be exported abroad. We are really happy that more and more Gyaru can meet, share and exchange around the same things that they like.
- What is Gyaru for you? Do you think there are conditions, a guideline to follow to be equal? (At the personality level or otherwise?)
Maami : Gyaru are of course people who get noticed but they also do what they want no matter what it says. Being Gyaru is really a way of being, thinking, being honest and saying what you think. If you don’t think about it, you can’t be Gyaru until the end of your life!
- What are the 3 important points in your style?
Maami : For me first is to show your skin, then it’s to have fair hair. Finally, I always put on clothes that will make me look taller, especially high heels.
- What are your favorite brands? (Fashion, beauty, lens)
Maami : I really like products from South Korea because they are often full of glitter and help bring out the colors better.
- Do you have models, favorite personalities, influences, people you respect?
Maami : I really like ROLA! At first I didn’t have a particular interest in Gyaru but seeing ROLA for example on the big pages of magazines, I found it so pretty. I wanted to be that kind of person and that’s why I admire him.
- What do you do outside of your activities with the magazine?
Maami : Watch anime and wear cosplays.
- Have you ever been abroad? Do you have a place you would like to visit? (ideal place in the world)
Maami : Yes I often go to Thailand! I want to visit and go down the Amazon river! The jungle really attracts me.
- Did you know that there are many events around the world and especially in Europe around Japanese culture and which have prestigious guests (such as Masukawa Tsubasa, Kubota Masutaka,Yoshiki, Yamada Ryosuke (Johnny’s), AKB48)
Maami : Oh I never heard about it !
- Would you be interested in being invited to represent EGG?
Maami : Yes, I want to go !!!!!
- Do you know a few words in French?
Maami : Bonjour ! Merci ! Buono ? Ah I think it’s italian. Vous allez bien ? Je vous en prie. Bon weekend ! I’m sorry. French is complicated! (laughs)
- Do you have any other plans afterwards?
Maami : I recently started Takishugyou (Japanese discipline consisting in staying focused and immobile under a cascade of cold water). I muscle my neck this way. I also want to try bungee jumping!
- Do you have a message for your foreign fans?
Maami : Let everyone wear showy clothes and become Gyaru! EGG!